This weekend marks the 20th anniversary of Clarence Thomass appointment to the Supreme Court. In his first two decades on the bench, Justice Thomas has established himself as the original Constitutions greatest defender against elite efforts at social engineering. His stances for limited government and individual freedom make him the lefts lightning rod and the tea partys intellectual godfather. And he is only halfway through the 40 years he may sit on the high court.
- Anita Hill (3quarksdaily.com)
- (Quintessential) AEI (Usa) : Global currency war (prosumerzen.net)
- Jane Fonda and Gloria Steinem Call for Government Suppression of Rush Limbaugh’s Radio Broadcasts (volokh.com)
- Are Libertarians Part of the Conservative Movement? – Politics and Public Opinion – AEI (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- How Housing Policy Caused the Financial Crisis: Q&A with AEI’s Peter Wallison (reason.com)
Are you a legislator whose career needs a boost?
Do citizens whining about jobs and economic injustice keep you up at night?
Are you interested in turning your political office into cash?
Today’s political climate can be exhausting citizens demanding action on their problems.
Its harder than ever to talk to the people that matter the most, corporations.
ALEC gives you the tools to get your political career on track.
You get ready made legislation and contacts with lobbyists to ensure your future in office.
Learn the skills you need to serve corporations. Such as bailouts, tax breaks, subsidies, and more.
After years of telling people they can apply online for Social Security in their pajamas, Patty Duke has taken her own advice. Duke, who turns 65 today, applied online for retirement and Medicare benefits from home atwww.socialsecurity.gov.
“I had no idea this would be such a momentous occasion,” said Duke, who for three years has volunteered her time promoting Social Security’s online services in numerous Public Service Announcements (PSAs) and media interviews. In a new online video, Duke puts character acting aside and shows everyone what happened when she and her husband Mike Pearce sat down at the kitchen table, turned on their laptop, and applied for her retirement and Medicare benefits.
“All of us at Social Security wish Patty a very happy birthday,” said Michael J. Astrue, Commissioner of Social Security. “She’s a Hollywood legend and an American treasure who reaches a very important milestone today. True to form, she is the one giving us the birthday present by showing her fellow baby boomers the easiest way to apply for benefits.”
In 2009, Duke reprised her roles as the identical cousins, Patty and Cathy Lane from the Patty Duke Show, for a series of PSAs promoting Social Security’s online services. In 2010, Duke teamed up with the surviving Patty Duke Show cast members for an additional set of spots. Earlier this year, she teamed up with entertainment icon George Takei to encourage people of all ages to “Boldly Go” to www.socialsecurity.gov. In the three years since Duke has volunteered her time with Social Security, millions of people have visited the agency’s website and the percentage of online retirements has more than doubled.
“While I just applied for retirement benefits, I’m not retiring from being a Social Security spokesperson,” Duke says. “I urge my fellow baby boomers to go online to www.socialsecurity.gov. If you’re not sure how to get started on the computer, ask a loved one to help you out. I did, and it was so easy.”
# # #
SSA Press Office 440 Altmeyer Building 6401 Security Blvd. Baltimore, MD 21235
- Patty Duke Signs Up for Social Security (money.usnews.com)
- Ryan ready to defend Medicare plan (politico.com)
- Patty Duke, Columbo, and the Glenn Ford Family on next “Dave White Presents”! (thespyreport.livejournal.com)
- Social Security to Resume Paper Statements (money.usnews.com)
- Social Security and You: Starting Medicare Part B (mysanantonio.com)
- A Family Member HomeCare, a Miramar and Coral Springs Home Health Care Agency, Notes Social Security Launches New Spanish Online Services at www.segurosocial.gov (browardhomehealthcareagency.com)
- Social Security and You: Applying for Medicare (mysanantonio.com)
- Social Security Q&A (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- James A. Garfield’s Mortal Wound (insidesurgery.com)
- Valentines Day: Where are you, Mario Fronzoni? (meandering49.wordpress.com)
- President Garfield’s Assassin: Charles Guiteau’s Time in Washington (ghostsofdc.org)
- On Divided Parties, Brokered Conventions and Nominations from the Floor (indiealbany.com)
- The 2012 GOP Campaign: On Divided Parties, Brokered Conventions and Nominations from the Floor (indiealbany.com)
- US elections: Real battle may be for dominance in Congress… (sluggerotoole.com)
- President John Tyler’s Grandsons Are Still Alive (neatorama.com)
- Help Elect Elizabeth Warren To The Senate– Win A Lenny Kravitz Platinum Award (crooksandliars.com)
- House maps scheduled for Senate vote (ajc.com)
- Redistricting – Some Odd Circumstances Even for Those Who may be Unaffected (romickinoakley.wordpress.com)
- Maps released as lawmakers learn their fate (ajc.com)
- WATCH: Buffett: ‘People Need To Know What Fellas Like Me Pay In Taxes’ (huffingtonpost.com)
- “Land of the Free, Home of the Poor” (americablog.com)
- Arizona dust storm: ‘It’s like being sandblasted’ – Los Angeles Times (news.google.com)
- Syria protesters defy Bashar Assad; troops kill 22 – Los Angeles Times (news.google.com)
- Relaxing Obama hits bookstore, Vineyard golf links – The Associated Press (news.google.com)
- Obama treats immigrants much worse than Bush (americanunion.wordpress.com)
- U.S. to review 300,000 deportation cases (chron.com)
- Obama Administration Halts Deportations of Non-Criminal Immigrants (blogs.abcnews.com)